Wednesday, May 19, 2010

May 15 Dam Release Opens Official Lehigh Season

Guide Training Complete!

This past Saturday I completed the final training run and it was a real confidence booster.  I was in my own kayak with a group of 63 customers in 12 rafts in the Lower Lehigh Gorge.

A young woman fell out of her raft right in front of me at one point, not even in the rapids, and she quickly panicked.  Her poorly adjusted life vest immediately rode up into her armpits and around her neck.  I don't think she knew how to swim.  Then her head went below the surface.  One of her raft mates jumped in to help, neither of them were listening to me as she tried to remove the life jacket.

  "Grab the handle on the back of my kayak!" I repeated.

With her friends help she was now out of the vest, or almost out, the straps snagging on her wrist.  Then the friend realized he could stand, another danger, potentially trapping feet on the bottom.  Thankfully the remaining people in the raft paddled back up and the two were quickly back in the raft.

  "I'm not leaving until I see that jacket back on you," I announced.  When the PFD was back on I snugged up the straps, "that's how it's supposed to fit," I concluded.

It was a momentary scare and my trip leader later agreed, but all's well that ends well.

The following day I finished CPR training and at the end of the class I was handed a small, thick envelop.  I opened it to find that JTRA had printed up these business cards.




Now I will begin working on kayak instruction certification with the American Canoe Association.  There are four levels and I imagine I won't even be able to pass Level I (out of four) until the end of the season or maybe early next spring.  Stay tuned . . .

1 comment: