Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Labor Day on the Deerfield River Massachusetts

Taking a break from the boys' club, Andrea and I got out of town for the long weekend to go camping and paddling in Massachusetts. The weather was overcast and not exactly warm but it didn't rain and was probably about what you expect from late summer in New England.

We paddled the easy section of the Deerfield, called Fife Brook. Andrea started off with some butterflies in her stomach, but soon settled down for a smooth run. I've never seen someone accidentally launch off rocks in the rapids with as much composure as my wife and I don't think I'll ever understand it. This time it was a big rock but easy to avoid but when I ask her about her choice of line through the rapid she just shrugs. Unfortunately I didn't get a pick of that amazing deflection and splashdown.

Andrea in her new Remix 59.

Shuttle was provided that day by our good friend Liam O'Brien who lives nearby in S. Deerfield, MA. He met us at the put in, helped shuttle, and we went to the famous Charlemont Inn for beers and grub afterwards. There's a lot to do in that neck of the woods and I highly recommend a weekend trip to the Berkshires and the Mohawk Trail section along Route 2.

Next season I'd like to see our group get up there during a rainy stretch and paddle some of the small but amazing creeks that you see everywhere in western Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment